For Immediate Service:
History of Pace Manufacturing Company
In 1927 a new star appeared in the slot machine manufacturing business from practically nowhere named Ed Pace. Pace had also been a former Mills roadman for many years and, in the footsteps of Jennings, had risen to the position of the largest used slot machine dealer in the United States by 1926. He soon bought out a small company and started manufacturing his own slot machine, which he called the BANTAM, due to its relatively small size (accomplished by moving the cash box upwards into a canvas sling). Weights of popular jackpot machine were compared, with Mills Bells weighing 90 pounds, Jennings 77 and Pace BANTAM only 57 pounds. The machine incorporated a new type of coin entry in which the coins rotated around in a circle so that the last several coins played could be simultaneously viewed. To illustrate just how fast times and attitudes were changing, the LIBERTY BELLs had been modified to eliminate their claw feet to make room for a larger coin box and then, less than ten years later, the trend was toward smaller machines. The continued success of Pace caused yet a new member to enter the "club," and by 1929 it was the "big five," at least for a while.
Ed Pace had been in slot production for five years when he introduced the Pace COMET BELL in 1932. With its popular rotary escalator, reliable mechanism and twin jackpots, this machine was well received. Four years later Pace recased the earlier model, calling it the ALL STAR COMET, then he changed the case once again in 1939 renaming it the DELUXE COMET. Many northern Nevada casinos adopted this final model.
The Pace machine, with few changes since the pre-war DELUXE COMET, had a quick succession of owners after Ed Pace retired in 1951 at age 74. Veteran slot manufacturer Harold Baker produced the Pace machine for the following two years until he died. The manufacturing of Pace slots was then continued by the Ace Manufacturing Company of Franklin Park, Illinois.
Back To Pace